Monday, March 16, 2020

"On leash" etiquette -- most dogs do not want to meet you leashed dog, ever....

You are Not an Exception to the Rule:  Please Share This Blog Post with ALL Your Dog Owning Friends
Spring is coming!  This means that we all want to get outdoors and enjoy more time in nature.  I am often sad to see this because it means my beloved peaceful trails are overrun with folks who don’t understand trail manners and rules; especially when it comes to dogs.
My dogs do not want to meet your dogs, ever.  There is no situation in the world where my dogs are interested in an interaction with strange dogs.  If they need friends I will hand pick them from the dogs of people I know and trust. Does that make me weird and/or rude?  Okay then, I’m good with that.
I hike in many different places with my dogs and most of those places have very clear leash laws.  I follow them and I expect you to follow them as well. You are not an exception to the rule! Loose dogs running up to leashed dogs is a recipe for disaster.  People need to know this. In fact, two leashed dogs meeting is usually a very bad idea as well. Leashes prohibit natural dog body language from happening and can lead to misunderstandings.  Better to avoid them.  
Yesterday I walked past a woman who had 3 dogs on leash.  I had no choice but to pass her as it was on a boardwalk and there was nowhere to move over and give space, which is my preference if possible.  Hearing her chant of “be nice, be nice, be nice” set my spidey senses tingling for sure. My dogs are trained to move close to my side, focus on me, and keep moving with me in these situations, and they are good at it.  But it’s stressful for them and for me.  
I understand the desire to take your dog out in the world to have a good time. That is exactly why I’m out there. The thing is, many dogs I see out on the trails aren’t enjoying it all that much.  They are busy freaking out about other dogs. They are not “friendly”; they are overstimulated and unable to control themselves. That’s not fun for them. And it doesn’t look like much fun for their owners either.  It would be so much better to seek out a good trainer/behaviorist and learn about appropriate activities and effective ways to address emotional health and well-being. It’s completely possible to teach your dog good trail manners, and that includes ignoring others.  
     
And just to point in case these pics make you think my dogs are not leashed, when I take photos other dogs are not around, my dogs still have their leashes on, I step away, take pics, go back, give treats, and pick up their leashes again.  They are well-trained to stay in that spot until I return to them.
When your dog is screaming and clawing in the air at the end of a tight leash trying to get to my dogs he’s not having a good time and he doesn’t want to be friends.  He’s totally overloaded and likely to do something you will deeply regret if he gets the opportunity. As the human half of the team please take responsibility for your dog’s behavior and seek out qualified help.  
One of my dogs is older.  He has diminished eyesight and doesn’t see well what’s coming at him from a distance.  Your dog streaking towards him causes confusion and concern for both him and for me. Your desire to give your dog freedom does not outweigh my desire to keep my dog secure and comfortable.  Remember, you are not an exception to the rule! I walk in places with leash laws on purpose. I expect my dogs to be safe from being molested by off leash dogs here.  
I so appreciate people who follow the rules and are also thoughtful about how their dog’s behavior might affect others.  When someone calls their dog back to them and puts them on leash I thank them profusely. Simple rule. If you cannot immediately recall your dog regardless of the distractions then there is no way they should be off leash, even in off leash areas.  Second simple rule. Assume that people and dogs are out in the woods to seek solitude, not to make friends. Be polite, smile, nod, and keep moving. If you can’t follow these rules then please get some good training help before you hit the trails again.